Saint Marguerite Marie Alacoque or Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque (22 July 1647 – 17 October 1690) who promoted devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in its modern form was prevailed upon to produce images for the devotion to the Sacred Heart.
The second image was produced by the Saint in September 1686. It was sent by the saint to Mother de Soudeilles in Moulins. She gave two images: one a large image for placing by a crucifix; the other much smaller which could be carried about for peronal devotion.
The original is in the Monastery of the Visitation at Nevers.
In her autobiography, the saint describes her first attempts on 20th July 1685 at producing an image. The original is in the Convent of the Visitation in Turin. The monastery at Paray had given it to the Convent on 7th October 1738 as the Convent which had been founded by St Francis de Sales was favoured by the Dukes of Savoy.
The word "Charitas" is inscribed in gold letters in the middle.