Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

St Jerome by Bicci di Lorenzo



Bicci di Lorenzo 1373-1452
1433
Saint Jerome
Museo Amedeo Lia, La Spezia


Bicci di Lorenzo was the son of the painter Lorenzo di Bicci, a traditional late follower of the artistic line of Orcagna.

Bicci was similarly educated in art in his father's workshop in Florence, in which he began to share in the production of artistic products between the end of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th century

The artist was in fact the head of a company of painters, with the less well known Stefano d'Antonio and Buonaiuto di Giovanni.

His workshop, situated in Camaldoli (now the area of Piazza Tasso), made the area take off in terms of artistic activity.

Many later generations of artists were trained there including Andrea di Giusto, Giovanni di ser Giovanni known as Lo Scheggia (brother of Masaccio) and Antonio di Maso (previously known by the false name "Maestro di Signa"). This latter went on to be one of the greatest exponents of the Bicci method in the second half of the Fifteenth century.

The above painting was originally part of a polyptych executed for the church of San Niccolo in Cafaggio, Florence.

Other pieces exist around the world, including St Augustine in Rome.