Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

St Augustine of Hippo

Anonymous Florentine artist
The Vision of St Augustine (17th century)
Mosaic
Museo dell'Opificio delle Pietre Dure, Florence


Joseph Parrocel (1646-1704)
Saint Augustine curing the Sick
Oil on canvas
1.69 x 2.56 m
Musée des Beaux-Arts, Nantes (Seized in the Revolution in 1793 from the Refectory of the Discalced Augustines in Paris)

James O`Donnell`s website on The Life and Works of St Augustine is excellent.

The site includes texts and translations

For those who like the works of St Augustiine in .mp3 see Doxology: The Works of Augustine

Another valuable site is that at Villanova University: Augustine's Spirituality at Villanova


"Too late have I loved you, O Beauty so ancient, O Beauty so new. Too late have I loved you! You were within me but I was outside myself, and there I sought you! In my weakness I ran after the beauty of the things you have made. You were with me, and I was not with you. The things you have made kept me from you - the things which would have no being unless they existed in you! You have called, you have cried, and you have pierced my deafness. You have radiated forth, you have shined out brightly, and you have dispelled my blindness. You have sent forth your fragrance, and I have breathed it in, and I long for you. I have tasted you, and I hunger and thirst for you. You have touched me, and I ardently desire your peace."

St Augustine, Confessions, X, 27, 38

No comments:

Post a Comment