Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Lithographs of Victorian Catholic Churches in North America


Church of the Holy Trinity, Columbia, Pennsylvania.

Website is here

The church was founded by the then Bishop Saint John Neumann





St. Vincent de Paul's Church, Germantown, Pa.

The church was built 1849-1851 and enlarged 1857 and was part of a complex which included a seminary and chapel completed in 1879

The church was the first parish named after St. Vincent de Paul

Website is here 



Eglise du Precieux Sang, Woonsocket, Rhode Island (The Church of the Precious Blood of Woonsocket, RI)

Woonsocket, Rhode Island, was the fourth largest Franco-American town. Besides having a beautiful name, it also had one of the highest percentage of French Canadian population in all of New England (60%). There were five French-Canadian parishes in the city by the 1920’s.

The church was founded in 1828 and the building was constructed in 1873 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places

Contact details are here



The Church of the Most Holy Redeemer, now known as Santísimo Redentor, 161-165 East 3rd Street, the East Village, Manhattan

It was once the most important in Manhattan's  Kleindeutschland "Little Germany" 

The Wikipedia entry is here

The parish website is here


The Favey Library at Villanova University  has put on line a collection of Catholic church lithographs by the Philadelphia lithography firm of Packard and Butler (later Packard, Butler and Partridge), 

There are over 400 prints of interior or exterior views of Catholic churches throughout the United States and parts of Canada during the nineteenth century

The prints seem to have been produced for a variety of uses. There are a number of prints that were used as certificates commemorating First Holy Communion and Confirmation.

There are also a few portraits of priests:


Reverend B.F. McLoughlin, Pastor of St Mary`s Church, Cortland, New York