Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Closed after 600 Years


Fra Bartolomeo (1472 - 1517)
St Dominic
1514
Fresco on wood
Museo nazionale di San Marco, Florence


Fra Bartolomeo (1472 - 1517)
St Thomas Aquinas
c 1512
Fresco on wood
Museo nazionale di San Marco, Florence

The convent of San Marco in Florence was founded in 1435

Apart from a brief time when they were expelled during the Napoleonic invasions, there has always been a Dominican presence in this convent, one of the great religious and cultural institutions of Florence

Beato Angelico, Saint Antonino Pierozzi,  Fra' Bartolomeo, and Fra Girolamo Savonarola are only a  few of the Dominicans who have lived here

It has now been announced that after six centuries the remaining Dominican convent and church at San Marco are to close

The remaining four brothers will temporarily go to the Dominican convent at Santa Maria Novella