Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

Advent



Advent hymns and prayers, in the Penwortham Breviary
c. 1310
Ink and pigments on vellum
21.6 x 13.1 cm
Additional MS 52359, f.1r
The British Library, London

The Penwortham Breviary preserves one of the oldest, most complete examples of the divine office according to Sarum Use, or as recited in much of medieval post-Norman England.

The first page has the prayers and hymns for the first Sunday in Advent, as the heading in red tells the reader. The beginning of the text is decorated with a picture of the Annunciation, with the words of Gabriel, the prayer 'Hail Mary full of grace,' on a scroll. The musical notations are rare in small breviaries.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog. I am new to this but have really enjoyed it. I am interested in lots of similar topics. Check out my blog sometime and tell me what you think: http://beautyandideas.blogspot.com/

    I am just starting out but any thoughts/suggestions on layouts and stuff would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for your kind comments.

    Good luck with the new blog. As regards layout, I`m really the ast person to give suggestions. Part of the fun is trying out new themes etc. Just be yourself and enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete